Local Bird Guide
Birding Guide for Hire
Website to contact Mike Hendrickson: Mike Hendrickson Guiding
- 1979 led Kim Eckert’s Birding Identification Classes. Since then I have been guiding birders and birding groups from all over the U.S. and Europe.
- 1982 worked as a Naturalist at Padre Island National Seashore in Texas as part of my internship for my college degree at the University of Minnesota-Crookston.
- 1984 co-led a VENT winter bird trip with Kim Eckert.
- 1986 – 1995 co-led Minnesota Birding Weekends with Kim Eckert.
- I lead field trips for the American Birding Association conventions ( 2 ) in Duluth, MN. I led all the Sax-Zim Bog field trips.
- 1990 I worked in Florida for Environmental Labs Inc. out of B.Y.U. banding birds at some sites along the Atlantic coast.
- 2002-04 served on the Minnesota Ornithologist Union board as Field Trip Chairman.
- 2006-08 led Bird trips for ObServ Tours with the late Bob O’Dear. I led a winter bird tour in Minnesota, 3 Spring Grouse tours to Colorado, a May tour to Fort Davis / Big Bend National Park and a June tour to Churchill, Manitoba.
- 2008 – present I have been organizing and leading spring bird tours to Colorado.
- 2007 to present founder and co-organizer of the Sax-Zim Bog Winter Bird Festival held each February in Meadowlands, Minnesota.
- 2011-12 led birdwatching tours for Partnership for International Birding. I led several birdwatching tours during the winter of 2012-2013 in Northern Minnesota and a June tour to North Dakota – Minnesota.
I have been guiding birders and birding organizations for nearly 30 years! I am a 4th generation Duluthian and know all the back roads, the little unknown birding areas that do not make it on the internet or guide books. I can help you on the best places to lodge at or where to eat. I have a lot of friends and acquaintances who keep me updated on what birds are currently being seen in the area and with all that, I can get you on the right path to see your target birds and provide assistance on helping you make good decisions on where to lodge and eat in Duluth.